Jupiter 8

sharphotos

Local time
3:35 AM
Hallo,
eine Frage an alle die sich mit russischem "Glas" beschäftigen...
Hat jemand schon mal sowas gesehen (Bild), ich finde im Internet nichts dazu.
Schöne Grüße
Peter

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 19
Peter, welcome to the forum. It looks like the Black Paint was removed from a fairly early Jupiter-8M. The namering is normally Black.
This one has a dent in the filter ring, needs to be straightened out.
When used on a Nikon S-Mount camera, it helps to increase the thickness of the Shim of the lens. The calibration of the Jupiter lenses is normally set for the Contax standard.

Hallo Brian, vielen Dank für die schnelle Antwort, das Objektiv scheint schon modifiziert zu sein, es hat Kartoneinlagen im Inneren.
Hast du eine Ahnung, warum man die Farbe entfernen sollte?
Ich habe noch ein Problem mit dem Objektiv, die Blendenanzeige stimmt nicht mit dem eingestellten Blendenwert überein - kann man das mit den kleinen Madenschrauben am Blendenring lösen.

Looking at the dent in the filter ring: I suspect the black finish was damaged, and someone did this to cover over it. "BUT" this lens is 60 years old, and very difficult to know everything that has happened to it. The lens was worked on, as you note- but the person did not bother to re-align the aperture ring. You could probably straighten out the damaged filter ring with careful use of needle nosed pliers, and adjust the aperture ring.

I can read enough German to be dangerous, but "Kartoneinlagen" stumped me. Cardboard inserts? Wirklich? :) Or does Peter (sharphotos) mean some sort of baffling?

Viele lustige Leutchen im Forum 🤪
Eine ernst gemeinte Frage an Brian
Kann ich ein Jupiter 12 ohne Modifikationen an der Nikon S2 verwenden?
Danke nochmals

Jupiter-12 on a Nikon S2: I had to file down the Bezel that covers the mount of the Jupiter-12.

You will also need to test the focus with the Nikon. I increased the shim slightly to get best focus. BUT- this is true of many Jupiter lenses used on a Contax/Kiev as well.

This Black J-12 is modified for my Nikon S2, note the collar is polished down. I removed it from the mount, set screws out and it slides off. Then- polish down the collar using fine sand paper, circular motions.
RIMG0045.JPGRIMG0044.JPG

Note- I also had to file down the edges of the Flanges on the collar that engages the focus. They were slightly too big.

I am relying on Google Translate. It really does make International Use of this forum much easier! Better than relying on my 2 years of High School German classes taken over 50 years ago...

Or worse, a couple of years of HS German followed up by a couple of years of being a GI drinking beer and chasing frauleins ;)

"Aus, ausser, bei, mit, nach, seit, von, zu immer nehmen Dativ." Danke Herr Kloos, mein Lehrer am Gymnasium. ;o) Gibts eine Frage?

Please keep the discussion in English so that all may easily enjoy and participate.
:cool:

At least on my forum here on RFF, I have no problem using Machine Translation to post and reply.

The old RFF rules as posted asked for posts to be in English. The software changed, and a much simpler set of rules replaced it. "Content" is open to interpretation. So I interpreted it using google translate.

Mich erinnert dieses Jupiter-8M mit seinem roten Ring an die elfenbeinfarbenen Contax II Kameras und Objektive von CZJ nach dem Krieg. Pacific Rim hat mehrere Ausgaben des Zeiss Historica Journals digitalisiert. In Ausgabe 9 von 1987 gibt es einen interessanten Artikel zu den elfenbeinfarbenen Contax und deren Objektiven. Es wird sogar eine rote Variante erwähnt, die bisher nicht aufgetaucht ist.

Die sovietischen Fälscher sind ziemlich kreativ, wenn es darum geht ein paar Dollar mehr aus einer Kiev Kamera und einem Jupiter Objektiv raus zu holen. 😅 Da werden verschiedene Farbkombis ausprobiert und als Contax mit passendem Sonnar verkauft. Eventuell tue ich da auch jemandem Unrecht, vielleicht gab es auch eine rote oder mit rotbraunen Leder bezogene Kiev Kamera und das war das dazu passende Jupiter... Ich kenne mich bei den Kiev Kameras nicht so aus.

Kartoneinlage? Du meinst da wurde mit Pappe der Abstand korrigiert? Das spricht auch eher für eine unprofessionele Herkunft des Objektivs.

Strange to write in German at the board. I mentioned that it reminds me of the ivory Sonnar lenses and Contax cameras. There is a nice article about those ivory cameras and lenses in the Zeiss Historica journal you can find at Pacific Rims site. In the article a red Contax is mentioned. My guess is that someone liked to match maybe a red Kiev camera or a Kiev with brown leather with a red Jupiter-8. Does someone have seen such a camera in the past?

This is the only red Kiev I've ever seen:

IMG_9063.JPG

It was one of my lockdown projects back in 2020. The original leatherette was shot so I replaced it with an Aki Asahi kit.

I've never seen any evidence of Kievs leaving Arsenal with anything other than the standard black leather, though - and there's no variations listed at Soviet Cams, which is usually quite thorough about these things.

The red leathering looks nice. :cool: So it is probably from one of those workshops faking rare cameras and lenses.

Or it was a custom job for someone who likes red more then black. 😄

Back