American Road Trip 1979 on Kodachrome

Deardorf88, for the record, can I say I probably dislike those 'family event' slide shows as much as you do, if not more so.

'Happy snaps' slides of people posing and smiling their chimpanzee grins for the camera, bore me to tears and annoy me no end.

Happily, none of Lynn's are like that. In fact the documentary value of all his images is, I think, tremendous. So many memories come back to me when I look at his posted pictures, as I did much the same journey as he that same year, and again in 1982.

My last such ordeal (slide shows, not North American travel) was one I inflicted on my family in 1982, for my then 88-yer old Grandpa who wanted to see my postcard images of Sydney.

He enjoyed all my slides, which ate up almost a full hour, during which time we consumed two fairly stiff gins and ginger ale, his favorite tipple. Pa then suggested he would talk to the parish priest to organize a 'slide night' for the school kids of the village, which made me cringe, but what could I do except agree, if reluctantly.

Most fortunately, said well-intended plan fell by the wayside as none of the local kids knew where Australia was. Country towns in Canada could be like that almost a half century ago.

Now let us return to Lynn's wonderful images of North America as it was 44 years ago, and let the good memories continue.

Deardorf88, for the record, can I say I probably dislike those 'family event' slide shows as much as you do, if not more so.

'Happy snaps' slides of people posing and smiling their chimpanzee grins for the camera, bore me to tears and annoy me no end.

Happily, none of Lynn's are like that. In fact the documentary value of all his images is, I think, tremendous. So many memories come back to me when I look at his posted pictures, as I did much the same journey as he that same year, and again in 1982.

My last such ordeal (slide shows, not North American travel) was one I inflicted on my family in 1982, for my then 88-yer old Grandpa who wanted to see my postcard images of Sydney.

He enjoyed all my slides, which ate up almost a full hour, during which time we consumed two fairly stiff gins and ginger ale, his favorite tipple. Pa then suggested he would talk to the parish priest to organize a 'slide night' for the school kids of the village, which made me cringe, but what could I do except agree, if reluctantly.

Most fortunately, said well-intended plan fell by the wayside as none of the local kids knew where Australia was. Country towns in Canada could be like that almost a half century ago.

Now let us return to Lynn's wonderful images of North America as it was 44 years ago, and let the good memories continue.
Now that I think of it, I don't think I've ever sat through a traditional family slide show, but in the very early 2000s I enjoyed a show of photos and video taken by a friend who visited Europe, including Auschwitz in Poland. A number of us gathered at his house after his return, staring at the TV and listening to his narration of the many places he showed.

Lynnb's photos are such a wonderful window into the past, and I'm glad he is continuing this fascinating series.

Your old Canadian friends kind of had it right. Australia doesn't exist. I purportedly live here, but I'm one of many bots tasked with maintaining that illusion. Beep boop.

@lynnb - Your photo's have almost gotten me to the point of dragging out the old slide projector and subjecting my grandkids to a really old slide show of family events from 60+ years ago.
This 'show' really makes me wish I'd had the means to afford a camera and film back when I was traveling the west on my solo adventures in my '68 BMW 1600.

@lynnb - Your photo's have almost gotten me to the point of dragging out the old slide projector and subjecting my grandkids to a really old slide show of family events from 60+ years ago.
This 'show' really makes me wish I'd had the means to afford a camera and film back when I was traveling the west on my solo adventures in my '68 BMW 1600.
Good luck with the attention span of grandkids these days :ROFLMAO:

A '68 BMW 1600? Lucky you! Very cool...

Yep, me too. Honda 750, ventured out onto the salt as well, 1971. A 5300 mile loop around the NW in 10 days. Should have stopped and looked more, like Lynn. I had an Olympus 35RC rangefinder.

This thread made me consider that fourteen years ago, a friend and I went on a once in a lifetime trip through Japan over the course of three weeks. In another 20+ years time, I'll look through those images, maybe post them in a thread on a distant future RFF.

Back